Saturday 15 October 2011

My ride in the National Senior Track Championships Points Race!

Feeling excited to be riding in the senior track nationals, I had no idea how the race would develop, but being on the track made me feel slightly more confident and once racing (after the gun had made me jump like usual) I started to follow some good wheels and made my way slowly to the front. All the other cyclists were watching each other so I managed to sneak off the front, amazed by my own cycling I got over half a lap on the bunch and was starting to get in the same straight as the peleton, just when the whistle for a sprint was blown.  The peleton started to contest the sprint but due to the large gap I won the first sprint and collected the first 5 points. I glanced at the leader board saw my name at the top. I was feeling so pleased but with 110 laps remaining, decided ease up and re-join the bunch to conserve my energy for later in the race.  After each sprint I was slowly seeing my name drop down the leader board although I did get one more point. I was still feeling strong but too tired to go for a lap like some of the other riders, namely Lizzie Armitstead (pro). I am just a first year junior - I may try that next year! When I came off the track with 6 points I was still feeling elated to have finished 7th overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment