Tuesday 17 April 2012

The Junior Brabantse Piljs

I got to the race circuit, which was near the centre of Brussels and rode down the hill (featured in the race) to the HQ. I was wondering how we were going to cope racing up that hill 13 times!

Before the race I decided to do a loop to test it out, while Melissa was on rollers. The start of the cobbled climb luckily had a non cobbled path up the side and the steepest part of the climb wasn't cobbled - not as bad as i'd thought.
When I got to the top of the climb I saw some riders waiting for the start, so I decided to ride back down to get Melissa. When I got to the bottom I realised she'd already set off to the top!

The climb
Being last to the start line ensured I was yet again at the very back! I decided pretty quickly that this bunch was definitely going to split, so I had to make my way quickly to the front.
On the first lap, the descent was mayhem. It had rained earlier and the surface was slightly slippy, so there were lots of crashes. Luckily I managed to avoid all of them although unfortunately Melissa got stuck behind one. After 3 laps the bunch had split and I had made selection being in a group of 20 away. The pace increased again as there were a few attacks on the hill. Ian (Mel's dad) kept shouting for me to move higher up the bunch at the bottom of the climb! I asked him how many laps to go - he said three, although it actually turned out to be eight! After lots of attacks, 4 riders eventually managed to break free. Another attacked with two to go. I saw it go, but had nothing left, so had to settle for sitting in and waiting for the sprint. The last time up the climb we took a right instead of a left and onto the finishing straight. The other girls were really going for it, but I dug deep and despite being rolled, managed to kick round another rider ahead to finish 7th.
Me next to the Champion-
System Lorry
The atmosphere was amazing, since we were a support race for the spring classic and going through the finishing straight with all the barriers was a brilliant experience.

After the race, it was time to head home back to England, saying bye to Melissa (she was staying till Sunday) and putting the bike in the car I noticed we were parked next to all the team lorries, and close by were all the Champion Systems lorries! I had to stop and have my photo taken with, which made me miss the Eurotunnel train!

I had a brilliant time racing in Belgium and can't wait till the Cheshire classic on Sunday.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like I'm the only one who's found his way to your blog (or else the others are all too rude to leave messages!)

    I promise that I will stop gushing soon but for the time being I just can't get over the progress you are making. Just wonderful to watch (even if it is from a distance) and I am so very chuffed for you and your Mum and Dad. Please say hello to them from me.I just know that first win is lurking round the corner and when it comes there will be a huge cheer in Lancaster.

    I would love to come and watch the Cheshire on Sunday but Cog Set is still growing and as we're regularly getting 80+ on a Saturday we need all the coaches we can get down there. That means Sunday is chores day!

    Look out for Jess Atkinson who is making good progress in the Youth As - she'll be with the Big Girls next season.

    All the very best,

    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete