Tuesday 28 February 2012

The coal road challenge..

It was that time of year again this Sunday, where my dad thinks its a good idea to ride the coal road challenge. Setting off in the middle group, there was no easy start (you always get some fast men smashing it!). Unfortunately Dad got a puncture at the first big hill and told me to continue without him, never to be seen again till the finish...
The 'bunch' splintered as the speed was high and I managed to stay in the front few, a while further down the road I kept wavering on and off the back. Eventually I was alone. Unsure of directions and struggling against the wind, I even made up a song about being on my own! I was beginning to wonder why I was even doing the challenge. A while later some men caught me and I rode with them just to the feed station just getting a little breather.
Ugh, after the feed station the hill was bigger than I remember soon the gruelling extent of the climb started to cause me some pain... later I was on my own yet again (singing my lonely song) and a Mr speedy came flying past. I jumped on his wheel getting a small tow to some riders who I rode with back to the finish. I waited there to slowly clap my Dad in. 67 miles over one of the highest roads in Cumbria, partially alone. Somewhat character building... still, managed it 10 minutes quicker than last year (more than I can say for my poor Dad!).

First 'road race' of the year, done! Next up, March crits, Team series and Cheshire Classic.
 
Eve x

No comments:

Post a Comment